I am a hardworking person who enjoys solving problems. I enjoy programming, and write free, open source software in my free time. I have experience working in teams as a force multiplier with expertise in designing, implementing and maintaining reliable, performant and efficient systems.
Please understand that I get lots of job offers. I am open to interesting opportunities but the volume of low-quality bulk offers is overwhelming. Please observe the following rules or I will ignore your offer:
- The offer must be personalized. Reference my current work and my website (kevincox.ca).
- Do not send more than one email. Trust me, I got it. Assuming that you are following these rules I will respond, even if just to say that I am not interested. If you are sure you are following these rules feel free to send a single follow up after at least 30 days. Other than this exception all ping, reminder or "to make sure this didn't get caught in your spam filter" emails will be reported as spam.
- Please do not contact me with cryptocurrency and blockchain related offers. I'm sorry, but please realize that this industry is almost entirely scams and I can not invest the time to thoroughly investigate each company that reaches out.
Founding Engineer, Plato
December 2022 - Present
- Developing the Plato platform.
November 2021 - Present
- Created and operated FeedMail.
April 2021 - November 2022
- Architected, implemented and launched Yugabyte's hosted database service cloud.yugabyte.com. Now continuing to ship improvements on capability, reliability and cost.
Senior SRE, Instacart
March 2020 - April 2021
- Improving incident response procedures to reduce impact of incidents.
- Advising the design of critical storage systems to improve reliability.
- Implementing automated disaster recovery and test environment management to provide faster recovery of unexpected disasters and improving developer velocity.
Senior SRE, Google
August 2016 - February 2020
- Improved resource usage and reduced latency variance for a number of Google Ads services.
- Drove the development and adoption of standardized set of release tooling across Google Ads.
- Lead training of new SREs in the EMEA training hub.
Software Developer, Shopify
May 2015 - April 2016
I worked with Shopify's Data Team where we built and maintained tools to analyze Shopfiy's many data sources. These tools were used by our data scientists to create valuable insights for the company.
Participant in Google Summer of Code
May 2014 - August 2014
Over the summer I worked with both the Wireshark and Ceph projects to add Ceph protocol dissection support to Wireshark. The project was successful and the code is now part of the Wireshark project.
- Expert in distributed systems, especially knowledge in designing reliable and performant systems.
- Top level software developer, including the design of maintainable code bases as well as solid understanding of complex algorithms.
- Strong ability to select the correct balance between cost and effort. Including scoping out roadmaps and prioritizing the highest impact work.
As an enthusiast I have a wide knowledge of many tools and systems such that it is impractical to list them all here. Just let me know what technologies you use when you reach out and I can describe my experience level.